- October 2014, Roosevelt University, Chicago – Il: Performance Ear Training Clinic
- September 2014, Vandercook College of Music, Chicago: Tuesday Lecture Series
- September 2014, Bahçe Sehir University: Performance Ear Training Clinic
- September 2014, Robert College: Istanbul – Turkey
- April 2014, S.O.T.A. School of the Arts Singapore: Taught one week of Performance Ear Training and modal improvisation. Prepared students for a recital for the school’s open house which included a short faculty concert.
- December 2013, Bahçe Sehir University: Performance Ear Training Clinic
- CJP (Chicago Jazz Philharmonic) Summer Jazz Camp, Chicago - Il: General Music & Ear Training to elementary and high school aged children.
Performance Ear Training
- Columbia College, Chicago – Il
- University of Illinois, Chicago – Il
- Old Town School of Folk Music Chicago – Il
- Evanston High School Jazz Festival, Evanston - Il
- New Trier High School Jazz Festival, Northfield - Il
- Mohawk College, Hamilton – Ontario, Canada
- Uskadar American School, Istanbul – Turkey (high school)
- Bilkent University, Ankara - Turkey
- Scuola Comunale di Musica "G. Sarti", Faenza - Italy
- Jazzschule Basel: Basel, Switzerland
- Scuola di Musica Moderna, Ferrara – Italy
- Kadir Has University, Istanbul – Turkey: Guitar Clinic
- Istanbul International Community School, Istanbul – Turkey: Performance Ear Training Clinics
- Robert College, Istanbul – Turkey: Performed Concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVokOVGUhIY
- Shanghai American School, Shanghai – China: General Music & Guitar Clinics, big band, improvisation. (1 week)
- Berklee College of Music On the Road Program: Umbria Jazz Festival: Guitar, Improvisation, Ear Training and Ensembles
- Nuova Academia di Musica Moderna, Milan – Italy: Jazz Guitar, Ensembles
- Centro Professione Musica, Milan - Italy: Jazz Guitar, Ensembles
1993 – Present: Performing musician as soloist and leader. Music lecturer/clinician – Domestically/Internationally.
2010 – Present: Proprietor - Jazz-Play Studio, Evanston, Illinois
- Teach: Guitar (jazz and classical)
- Music Theory/Aural Skills, composition
- Jazz Improvisation (all instruments)
- Produce public concerts of local artists.
Present: Teaching Artist - Piano Lab: Brown Elementary School, Chicago
- 2014 Teaching Artist - Musicianship/Ear Training: Chicago Jazz Philharmonic Outreach Jazz Camp
- 2006-2010: Proprietor - Jazz-Play Studio: Istanbul, Turkey
- Activities: See Jazz-Play Studio Evanston
- Time Out Istanbul: http://jazzplay.edublogs.org/files/2006/12/timeout_december.jpg
2000-2006: Assistant Professor, Istanbul Bilgi University (full-time)
- Music Department Vice Chair (2001-2002)
- Taught: core ear training, applied guitar, ensembles, song writing, repertoire, jazz improvisation, Intro to Jazz and Performance Ear Training (a required 3rd year course based upon own text).
- Created Aural Perception Test (Entrance exam).
- Improved level of entrants by 10% in the first year of implementation.
- Wrote and instituted a four-year guitar program.
- Wrote and instituted a four semester ear training program (core curriculum).
- Conceived best practices with faculty in the department to coordinate core curriculum.
- Extensive recruitment for the college.
1993 – 1994: Adjunct faculty, D.A.M.S. Universita' di Bologna Discipline delle Arti,
- Musica, Spettacolo [Italy]. Taught: Ear Training for Music Criticism (adjunct)
1986 – 1993: Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music (full-time)
- Taught: core ear training, vocal rhythm section ensemble, jazz ensemble, pop ensemble, recording ensemble.
- Developed original notation system for dictation.
- Developed a set of original ‘Study Concepts’ that form the basis of my text Performance Ear Training.
- Reorganized the audition process for the ensemble department: wrote several original musical examples that are still in use today, recalibrated the entire audition library.
- Conceived and realized the annual ‘Big Ears Olympics’: A school wide academic contest.
- Participated in the Berklee ‘On The Road’ recruitment program. Traveled to Santa Fe, Los Angeles and Italy. Directed music clinics and performed concerts. Performed at the Umbria Jazz Festival in Perugia-Italy.
1981- 1986: Guitarist 1st chair, Resorts International and Atlantis Hotel-Casinos
- Performed as an on stage and ‘pit’ musician for the country’s biggest stars: Nancy Wilson, Engelburt Humperdinck, Debbie Renolds, Jerry Lewis, Dom Deluis, Don Rickles, Shirley Bassey etc.
- Elastic Arts, Chicago
- Whiskey Lounge, Evanston
- 2015-16 First Night Evanston
- 2015 Festival of the Wall – Rogers Park Hybrid Project Chicago. https://youtu.be/r9wFttkVxPE
- 2015 Twenty-Two: Concert at Jazz-Play Studio, Evanston: https://youtu.be/nJ7ZXX10paU
- 2015 Israeli Jazz & World Music Festival: https://youtu.be/xTnxC0iR7Ok
- Jazz Oasis – Chicago Jazz Festival: Montage, Donovan Mixon
- Lakeshore Festival Dawes Park – Evanston: Montage, Donovan Mixon
- Uncommon Ground – Devon: Donovan Mixon Quintet
- The Green Mill – Chicago: Donovan Mixon Quintet (Chicago Jazz Composers Collective)
- Marion Street Market – Chicago: Montage. Donovan Mixon
- Room Forty-Three – Chicago: Featured soloist with The Most Wanted
- Katerinas – Chicago: Featured soloist with Lucy Smith
- ETA – Chicago: Featured soloist with ‘The Boss 8’
- Serbian Village Restaurant – Chicago: Featured soloist
- Jazz Institute 2012 Club Tour, Chicago: - Donovan Mixon’s Hybrid Project http://www.jazzinchicago.org/presents/jazz-club-tour
- Southside Community Arts Center – Chicago: Donovan Mixon’s Hybrid Project http://www.southsidecommunityartcenter.com/joomla/index.php/sscac/current-show.html
- Morseland – Chicago: Donovan Mixon’s Hybrid Project,
- Annual performance tours (Italy) 1995 – Present: Donovan Mixon’s Quartetto Italiano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIiuFiEKPw
- Bodrum Jazz Festival – (Turkey): Donovan Mixon & Asena Akan Quartet
- 2005, Istanbul Group, Hybrid Project: 12th International Istanbul Jazz Festival: http://caz.iksv.org/en/archive/photoarchive/51/808
- 2000, Performance Ear Training, Advance Music http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14/191-0549880-3487814?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=performance+ear+training&sprefix=performance+ea,stripbooks,240
- 1996-1999, Nine Joe Diorio solo transcriptions, Casa Musicale Tarasconi s.r.l., Milan
- 1993 – 2000, Contributing author, Guitar Club Magazine, Milan
- August 2013, We Play When We Play: cdbaby.com http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/donovanmixon3
- February 2013, İstanbul'un İzleri (Asena Akan): https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/istanbulun-izleri/id598544441
- Culmination cdbaby.com http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/donovanmixon
- 2010 Top Chicago Recordings:http://www.jazzchicago.net/reviews/2011/Bestof2010.html
- 2005, The Dance Of Life, DMC Records, Istanbul
- 1999, Language Of The Emotions, Philology Records
- ·1995, Lee Konitz, Free With Lee, Philology Records – http://philologyjazz.wordpress.com/studio-catalogue/
- 1993, Look Ma, No Hands!, Philology Records
- “I Gotta Handle On It” scheduled for publication - February 2017 with Cinco Puntos Press.
- July 2011, Short story Buona Sera Tutti: http://www.redochrelit.com/red-ochre-lit-archives.html
- 2010 - 2012, YouTube performance videos: channel Dmix22
- 2003, Artistic Director, “Kas N’ Jazz”, International Jazz Festival, Kas, Turkey
- 2001, Language Of The Emotions, Multi-media concert, Koc Alliance Auditorium, Istanbul
- 1989, National Endowment for the Arts, Jazz Composition
- 1988, Original composition, Culmination performed by the Boston Orchestra and Chorale
- Jazz Education Network: Member
M.M. Jazz/Commercial Music, Manhattan School of Music, 1985
o Composition: Michael Gibbs
B.A. Music Education, Jersey City State College, 1978
o Permanent K-12 Teaching Certification /Classic Guitar
Temple University, 1983
o Graduate studies, 20th Century Composition & Piano
Private Guitar Studies: Ted Dunbar, Harry Leahey, Jimmy Ponder.
Improvisation concept: Dennis Sandoli, Charlie Banacos.
Pro Tools Operator
Hurriyet Daily News: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=mixon-jazzes-up-istanbuls-music-scene-2008-02-29
Bodrum Jazz Festıval: http://www.myspace.com/asenag/photos/37470766
Izmir Jazz Festival: http://www.last.fm/festival/154468+14+th+İzmir+European+Jazz+Festival
Ankara Jazz Festival: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/default.aspx?pageid=438&n=ankara-international-jazz-festival-starts-on-nov.-6-2003-11-02
Foggia Jazz Festival: http://www.foggiajazzfestival.com/altro/19edizione1998/stampa.html